Splitting the Conservative Vote. Is it worth the Risk?

Splitting the Conservative Vote. Is it worth the Risk?
April 20
15:20 2010

by Mike Spears

Candidate, U.S. Senate

Some conservatives have expressed concern about my entry into the U.S. Senate race as an Independent candidate. I have fielded several passionate scoldings for running as an Independent, rather than as a Republican.

Generally, their argument contends that as an Independent conservative I will split the vote in the general election November 2. Therefore, some think I should run as a Republican, letting conservative voters chose the conservative they want in the primary election. This would eliminate a split between conservative voters, giving Democrat Charlie Melancon a better chance of winning.

I have not made this decision to run for U.S. Senate without great consideration. Splitting the conservative vote was a concern, something I seriously considered before making the decision. I do not want to see Charlie Melancon elected. I believe his election would be bad for this country.

On the other hand, what’s bad for this country is the disregard and revision of the Constitution, blatant corruption in Washington, irresponsible spending and fiscal policy and a general lack of integrity and honor.

The most concerning of these issues is the attack on the Constitution. Nobody is defending the Constitution, in either party. Last week a Federal judge ruled the National Day of Prayer, unconstitutional. This is an attack on the Constitution.

Where is Senator Vitter, or any of the other Republicans in Congress on this issue? Our Congressmen must defend the Constitution at all costs. It is the foundation, the wellspring of our liberties and freedom. Today, its the National Day of Prayer. Tomorrow it may be the right to private property or the right to bear arms.

Nobody in Washington is defending the Constitution. Why? In my opinion, it’s because it doesn’t get votes. It doesn’t please special interests. And it provides for greater power in Washington.

Those who have criticized me for running as an Independent conservative have not considered is this: If I were to run as a Republican in a primary, I’d not have the benefit of support from the left.

We expect to draw votes from the Melancon camp as well as the Vitter camp. There are many Americans on the left who will call themselves members of the Tea Party. There are many who are unhappy with the direction of this country, who align with our principles and who will align with our campaign.

What’s worse, if I ran as a Republican, I would be aligning myself with a party that’s deviated wildly from conservative principles, one that’s lost its way. I’m a constitutional conservative. I’m not sure how to describe the conservative principles of today’s Republicans or the Republicans of the last decade. What I am sure about, is they don’t align with my own.

Before closing, let me pose this one challenge. It’s the same challenge I myself had to face when wrestling with the prospect of splitting the conservative vote. Are you willing to take a risk to make meaningful change, real reform in Washington?

What if I decided not to run, to leave the future of our country in the hands of Senator Vitter? What if I decided that fundamental reforms in Congress were not worth the risk that a Democrat might take this race. What if I decided that restoring the American Dream was not worth the risk. And what if in November, the battle between Melancon and Vitter became so vile, that voters again faced an election where they’d rather not vote for either candidate.

My conclusion? It is worth the risk. Yes, you can count on the conservative Senator Vitter to vote the right way, along party lines. But I ask you, is he FIGHTING for the right things? Is he a guardian of the Constitution? Is he pushing back on secularists who want to remove God from our government?

Is he fighting for this country, or is he just voting the right way?

Yes. Tea Parties have been courting Senator Vitter. He’s been the only conservative choice, and a sure pick for conservatives against Melancon. Especially considering the behavior of the Democratic controlled U.S. House and Senate, most of us will cling to anyone on the right.

Given a second conservative candidate, it will be interesting to see how members of the Tea Party reconsider their position and realign themselves as conservatives.

For another perspective on how Americans are realigning themselves politically, see today’s USA Today story “Frustrated voters cut ties with Dems, GOP.” Find it on the web at http://www.usatoday.com/news/politics/2010-04-20-independents_N.htm

1. RC Dennis
    RC Dennis April 20, 21:01

And if Melancon wins, you will get blamed. And I will be the first to do so. Where are your credentials? Dont hand me a bunch of canidate slurrs. We are pretty much educated in that area, we dont need 1 politician bashing another to prove his worthiness. WHAT HAVE YOU DONE, to help this State, this Country!

• Marketing
      Marketing April 20, 22:06

I suspect that Spears is no threat in this race. He lists his occupation as running a web site development company, yet if you do a Google search for Mike Spears for US Senate, there is no web site listed on the first two pages. Doesn't seem like anyone thought this through. He's had his 15 minutes and now he'll fade all too slowly.

2. RC Dennis
    RC Dennis April 20, 21:01

• Marketing
      Marketing April 20, 22:06

3. Mike_Youngblood
    Mike_Youngblood April 20, 21:19

Mr Spears,

While I appreciate your inspired motivation to take "get involved" to the next level, history will show that third party candidates generally help the party they run to oppose, and I fear you will do the same. If you feel you have what it takes to beat Senator Vitter, then take him on in the primary. If you can't beat him in the primary, you'll elect Melancon in the general election and further compound the problem you claim you want to address. If this is an ego trip for you, please eat your humble pie early, not in the general election.

If you insist on seeing this through, please watch the polls and get out before you destroy any conservative hopes at all.

4. Mike_Youngblood
    Mike_Youngblood April 20, 21:19

Mr Spears,

5. Ryan Booth
    Ryan Booth April 20, 21:26

Mike, why don't you run for school board or or city-parish council or state representative or something? You might actually have a chance of winning and you'd actually be able to accomplish something good. I don't know you, but running for U.S. Senate against David Vitter suggests an exercise in vanity.

6. Ryan Booth
    Ryan Booth April 20, 21:26

7. Marketing
    Marketing April 20, 22:02

Pretty clear that this is a Paulestinian loon running to get attention, knowing he has as much chance of winning as the man on the moon. The only issue he can think of to attack Vitter on for not defending the constitution is on some federal judge's ruling about the National Day of Prayer? If THAT'S all this guy's got than he isn't really running against Vitter based on Vitter doesn't defend the constitution…

8. Marketing
    Marketing April 20, 22:02

9. Ellen Carmichael
    Ellen Carmichael April 21, 03:15

Seeing as how Mr. Spears is clearly responding to my previous post and the comments below it, I would like to address some of his concerns raised in his counter piece.

First, in regards to earmarking: it is worth noting that a lot of the "rankings" for that sort of thing INCLUDE special federal funding for post-Katrina, Rita and Gustav recovery. Period. I am personally a huge advocate for earmark elimination (and the proposed moratorium that has been blocked by Democrats), but a lot of what was seen as "waste" by non-Louisianians was seen by constituents as "essential." I'm not saying whether I agree or disagree with it, but imagine the attacks he would have endured if he would have denied recovery funds. Papers would read: "VITTER BLOCKS FUNDING FOR RECOVERY."

Second: While I appreciate your courage in getting involved in the political process, I am inclined to agree with Mr. Booth that a run "for U.S. Senate against David Vitter suggests an exercise in vanity." If you are such a stalwart conservative, we could certainly use your talents in many other offices (and maybe one day Senate, too!) and not risk not only Senator Vitter losing, but you losing too! The only real winner would be LA/ National Dems and Melancon!

Third (and finally)- what I appreciate so much about the TEA Party movement is that it has been centered around INDIVIDUALS, but instead, IDEAS. Many of the most powerful voices in the TEA Party movement have advocated for an increased civic participation for good, conservative candidates the closer we get to midterm elections. The TEA Party movement was not meant as a launching pad for Third Party activity and furthermore, they have resisted the idea consistently.

10. Ellen Carmichael
    Ellen Carmichael April 20, 22:15

11. Robert Hickey
    Robert Hickey April 21, 15:55

Why not run against Mary Landrieu and kill two birds with one stone…?

12. Robert Hickey
    Robert Hickey April 21, 15:55

Why not run against Mary Landrieu and kill two birds with one stone…?