Take, if you will, this quiz from AmericanCivicLiteracy.org. It’s 33 multiple-choice questions and shouldn’t take more than 20 minutes or so.
Go ahead, do it. We’ll wait.
Once you’ve taken it, compare your score with these numbers:
– The average score is just 49 percent.
– Worse, the average score among those respondents who have held public office is a pathetic 44 percent.
– Americans age 25 to 34 score an average of 46% on the exam; Americans age 65 and over score 46%.
– Americans earning an annual income between $30,000 and $50,000 score an average of 46%; Americans earning over $100,000 score 55%.
– Liberals score an average of 49%; conservatives score 48%.
– Americans who go to church once a week score an average of 48%; Americans who never go to church score 50%.
It’s a colossal embarrassment that the level of civic literacy in the country is as pitiful as it is. So – having taken the test, are you embarrassed?
(Consider this an open thread)