JEFF LANDRY: Why I Didn’t Go To The White House

JEFF LANDRY: Why I Didn’t Go To The White House
June 07
17:09 2011

Much has been said about my respectful refusal of the President’s invitation to the White House to discuss raising the debt ceiling from its current level of $14.3 trillion.

I have the utmost respect for the Presidency, Congress, and the Constitution.  However – during his Presidential tenure – Barack Obama has blatantly ignored Congress, our courts, the Constitution, and – most importantly – the American People.

Regardless, I did not attend the meeting because of my commitment to the people of the 3rd District. They elected me to be a different kind of Congressman – not one who follows the typical Washington processes that have destroyed Congressional credibility, bankrupted our children and grandchildren, created Social Security and Medicare shortfalls, and produced a 9.1% unemployment rate. Instead, the voters elected me to cut spending, reduce the debt, and create jobs.

If the White House meeting were a detailed discussion about ways to cut spending and prevent adding $2.4 trillion dollars to our national debt, I would have enthusiastically attended. Instead, the meeting was an exercise in political grandstanding to give the illusion that the President is committed to finding solutions. So the taxpayers’ dollars were better spent with me working at my desk to actually find real solutions to America’s problems.

For months, House Republicans have clearly stated what it would take for us to even consider voting to raise the debt ceiling. The President did not need to waste taxpayer dollars hauling hundreds of Representatives across town to get our message. He could have simply read the correspondences we have been sending him for months, including the previous evening’s overwhelming vote against a stand-alone debt ceiling increase.

In fact, the President’s own Press Secretary – Jay Carney – acknowledged that the meeting “was not the forum for specific advances in negotiations.” So as I was debating whether or not to attend, I was left with a question that I still have no answer for: What was this meeting’s purpose other than good old Washington showmanship?

At this critical juncture in history – Americans need leadership and real solutions, not just more of the same Washington. President Obama would be wise to heed the words then-Senator Obama spoke when he voted against raising the debt ceiling on March 16, 2006:

“Washington is shifting the burden of bad choices today onto the backs of our children and grandchildren. America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership. Americans deserve better.”

The Office of the President deserves respect, but it also demands leadership. And when the President decides to show real leadership and get serious about the problems America faces, I will gladly accept his invitation to meet and discuss how to bring America back to prosperity.

Congressman Jeff Landry

(Republican, LA-03)

New Iberia, LA

1. Anonymous
    Anonymous June 08, 10:57

On the other hand, having an opportunity to voice the concerns of the people of your district directly to the chief executive of the current administration, doesn’t come very often– but I realize with regard to this “current occupant”, it’s a “damned if you do, damned if you don’t” situation– let Bebe Netanyahu be your guide as to how to deal with “this cat” to his face while the cameras are rolling……

• Mickey
      Mickey June 08, 18:10

truth is no opportunity would have existed for Landry and all the others to “voice the concerns” of the people.  I agree with Landry, think if all had done what Landry had done, that would be a real “voice the concerns of the people of your district directly to the chief”.  i.e. no confidence….

2. Anonymous
    Anonymous June 08, 17:53

I will agree with Mr. Landry on this point. In short, an invitation by the president to Republicans to help solve issues, is like spam promising that you can earn $5000 a week working from your home. I would certainly hit ‘delete’ on that one too.

3. Dave55552002
    Dave55552002 June 08, 17:58

With the return of open primaries for Congress next year, the Democrats should be able to win back the 3rd District since the GOP will be split down the middle between Boustany and the idiot.

• MacAoidh
      MacAoidh June 08, 18:09

Once again you spout ignorance, Dave. Even if your scenario didn’t result in
      a Democrat finishing a poor third, they have these things called “runoffs”
      in Louisiana elections – and in the unlikely event Landry or Boustany were
      to not make the runoff, the loser’s vote would overwhelmingly go to the
      winner and against the Democrat.

Get a clue.

• Swimmergal44
      Swimmergal44 June 08, 20:44

Lord knows that after the fiasco of Charlie Melancon holding that seat as a Democrat, we don’t see another Democrat in that seat for a very long time.  This is a conservative based area and Democrats are definitely NOT Conservative, so this district must continue to be represented by a Conservative Republican.

• Anonymous
      Anonymous June 08, 23:14

I didn’t think Charlie would run in that district????  He’s been shown the door once all ready.

4. ruanamerican
    ruanamerican June 08, 19:13

Touche Mr Landry. that’s exactly what we need in Congress. More Congresspeople with Kahunas.

5. Caycayjwil
    Caycayjwil June 09, 03:07

I wish more of our Republican congressman were like Jeff Landry.  He stood up for the people and what he believes in.  He has stated that the Rep. Congressman have already stated time and again what they would need in order to agree with Obama.  Obviously he isn’t listening and doesn’t care to.  Yes, he ought to listen to what Senator Obama said, or is this just another I’ll tickle your ears until I get elected and then you will see my true colors.

Kudos to Congressman Landry!!!

6. Kentuckycajun
    Kentuckycajun June 09, 05:15

As a constituent of yours, I give you a standing ovation, Congressman – for calling Obama out on his childish, totalitarian, and downright ILLEGAL conduct!!

“What was this meeting’s purpose other than good old Washington showmanship?”

The answer,  Congressman Landry, is in chapter 4  of Atlas Shrugged – Sanction of the Victim.  They need you (and us), as the victim(s), to sanction their actions so they can maintain their warped, fantasy view of economic reality to the American people (and possibly to themselves).   AND the other tiny fact that it really makes them feel justified while robbing us blind.  Deny them this, on ALL issues, and their house of cards will crumble.

Now if you REALLY want to impress me, call for impeachment proceedings (instead of a “non-binding” slap on the wrist) for his role in the Libya affair, as well as countless other crimes he has committed against the Constitution.

7. Jeanwahl
    Jeanwahl June 09, 15:56

Thank you, congressman Landry.  Wish all of our elected officials had the integrity and backbone that you have displayed.!  Jean Wahl . Lutcher, La.

8. Anonymous
    Anonymous June 10, 14:34

Mr. Landry is right in his refusal to assist in giving the President more opportunities for sound bites to promote himself.  The current President in his meetings, without Presidential ridicule, has shown no inclination to allow the “other side” to verbalize its wishes and the wishes of its people . He deliberately ignores them and does what he wants, whether it is good for the country or not.