Many years ago I worked for a company that featured a large sales force made up predominantly of males in their 30’s and 40’s. On occasion there would be disputes and disagreements between salesmen over a variety of issues, ranging from who should win a sales contest to who should get the commission on a big sale. On one occasion such a dispute came to blows right there on the sales floor. It was broken up fairly quickly, but the individuals involved were suspended and those of us in management were treated to a lengthy lecture on “workplace violence” and how to deal with it.
Given that experience, I was rather taken aback when I saw reports yesterday that the Obama Defense Department had termed the November 5th, 2009 Jihadist attack on US Army soldiers by fellow soldier Major Nidal Hasan as “workplace violence.”
Classifying a pre-meditated massacre in which 13 were killed and 32 wounded in the same general category as a brawl between two salesmen demonstrates, at best, profound confusion and extreme denial. At worst, it indicates that efforts by the Muslim Brotherhood to influence our bureaucratized counterterrorism apparatus have been wildly successful.
Unfortunately, this latest revelation follows a pattern in which our military and the Obama administration have refused to acknowledge the role of Islamic doctrine in this attack and have in fact refused to even acknowledge that the massacre was an act of terrorism.
In a January 15, 2010 post-attack review done by the Department of Defense, there was no reference at all to Major Hasan’s motivation, nor was there any acknowledgement of Hasan’s repeated contacts with Al Qaeda cleric Anwar al-Awlaki. The report even failed to mention what Hasan yelled as he massacred American soldiers in cold blood: “ALLAHU AKHBAR” (“god is greater”).
We now know that there were many signs that Hasan had “gone Jihadi:”
- He had worshipped at the same northern Virginia mosque under Anwar al-Awlaki where two of the September 11th hijackers had worshipped.
- Hasan had repeatedly had email exchanges with Awlaki after Awlaki had fled to Yemen and was a known Al Qaeda leader. Shockingly, US Army and intelligence officials were aware of these exchanges well before the massacre.
- Two years before the massacre, Hasan had delivered a PowerPoint presentation in which he clearly articulated Islamic doctrine as mandating violent Jihad and pointing out that Muslims in the US military should not deploy to Muslim countries as it was contrary to the commands of Islam. You can see the whole PowerPoint here.
To this day, many observers choose to focus on Major Hasan’s mental and emotional state and not on his own expressed motivations. If Major Hasan is indeed “crazy” then there are literally tens of thousands of “crazy” Jihadis in America. Consider some startling and troubling statistics found by the left-of-center Pew Research Center in a May 2007 survey of American Muslims:
- 13% of American Muslims surveyed believed that suicide bombings of civilian targets in defense of Islam is justified in at least some circumstances. This comes to 182,000 Muslims in America over the age of 18. For Muslims between the ages of 18 and 29, an astonishing 26% said that they believed that suicide bombings of civilian targets in defense of Islam was justified in at least some circumstances. That comes to 109,200 Muslims between age 18 and 29 in the US.
- 5% of American Muslims surveyed reported that they had a favorable view of Al Qaeda. That means that 70,000 Muslims in America have a favorable view of Al Qaeda. Broken down to the age 18-29 category, 7% confessed to having a favorable view of Al Qaeda. That comes to 29,400 Muslims in America between the ages of 18 and 29 with a favorable view of Al Qaeda.
How is it that our bureaucratized counterterrorism apparatus has reached this point in which we are in total, active denial that an actual doctrine underlies the actions of even “lone wolf” or “sudden jihad syndrome” attackers like Major Hasan, Carlos Bledsoe and others?
The answer is simple but not pleasant. In fact, it is so unpleasant that no one in power wants to acknowledge it and our media actively denies it. The fact is, our bureaucratized counterterrorism apparatus has fallen victim to a sophisticated, organized influence operation that would make the Soviet KGB of the Cold War era green with envy. That influence operation has been run by front groups of the Muslim Brotherhood that have been active in the United States for decades.
The Muslim Brotherhood is a major political wing of the global Jihadist insurgency that is assaulting the West. It operates in the US through so-called “mainstream” and “moderate” Islamic organizations, as most ably pointed out by former FBI counterterrorism expert and Marine Force Reconnaissance officer John Guandolo in a recent article every American should read:
“…nearly all major Islamic organizations in the United States are controlled by the Muslim Brotherhood. These include the Islamic Society of North America (ISNA), the North American Islamic Trust (NAIT), the Council on American Islamic Relations (CAIR), the Muslim Students Association (MSA), the International Institute for Islamic Thought (IIIT), the Islamic Circle of North America (ICNA), and many others.”
These Muslim Brotherhood front organizations have gained the trust of many in our bureaucratized military, intelligence, and law enforcement communities—all the way down to the local level. The Muslim Brotherhood are extremely well-funded, largely by foreign money, and very effective at presenting themselves to those who are ignorant on Islamic threat doctrine as “moderate.” They literally have established control of the way that many of our elected, appointed and bureaucratic leaders approach the issue of terrorism and jihad.
How effective has the Muslim Brotherhood been in its influence operations? Consider this atrocious display of incompetence and ignorance by America’s Director of National Intelligence:
The results of the Muslim Brotherhood influence operations has also been made abundantly clear by the literal disappearance of references to Islam and Islamic doctrine in important national security policy publications.
- In 2004, the independent, bipartisan 9/11 Commission Report included 126 references to “Jihad,” 145 references to “Muslim” and 322 references to “Islam.”
- By 2008, the FBI had published an official document entitled the “FBI Counterterrorism Analytical Lexicon.” That 11-page document contains zero references to Jihad, zero references to “Muslim,” and zero references to “Islam.”
- In 2009, the Obama administration published its “National Intelligence Strategy.” This 18-page document includes zero references to “Jihad,” zeroreferences to “Muslim,” and zero references to “Islam.” In fact, in 18 pages, this document only includes one reference to Al Qaeda! In contrast, there are 3 references to climate change/global warming!
This doesn’t happen by accident. The people in the FBI, CIA and other organizations didn’t arrive at this state of affairs on their own. They were influenced. We now know that actual Muslim Brotherhood front groups, such as CAIR (Council on American Islamic Relations) and ISNA (Islamic Society of North America), were actually on the federal government’s payroll for years—even during the Bush administration—advising our leaders and bureaucrats alike on matters involving Islam.
The influence operations continue today. Private contractors made up of experienced counterterrorism and national security practicioners have developed excellent training courses for law enforcement and elected officials at all levels to educate them on Islamic threat doctrine. Predictably, the Muslim Brotherhood has moved to end this assault on their exclusive turf, as explained in detail by Mr. Guandolo:
“The following are brief summaries of notable recent interactions between senior Muslim Brotherhood leadership in America and top U.S. government officials. An entire book could be written on just this topic, but these paint a dangerous and incomprehensible relationship between the enemy and those charged with protecting American citizens.”
Americans must wake up to both the threat that we face from the global Islamic insurgency and the fact that our government is being prevented from taking a sober view of the war in which we find ourselves.