According to a report by the Daily Caller and sources from prominent liberal talk radio show host, Bill Press, House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) is being urged by fellow House Democrats not to appoint any Democrats to the Select Committee on the Bengahzi terrorist attack, in which four Americans died.
In a tweet via Twitter, Press said he was told by members of congress that they are asking Pelosi to exclude Democrats, who for the most part deny the Obama administration had any involvment in prepping former Ambassador Susan Rice on Benghazi in order to make the president look good.
Member of Congress told me she will urge Nancy Pelosi to appoint NO Democrats to Special Benghazi Committee. She’s right!
— Bill Press (@bpshow) May 5, 2014
Liberals rounding up around the idea to not appoint Democrats to the Benghazi committee comes after House Speaker John Boehner announced last week that he would finally create a select committee on the issue. Boehner, who just appointed Rep. Trey Gowdy (R-SC) as Committee Chairman, said he did this after he realized that the Obama administration withheld particular emails from Congress.
Pelosi recently mocked the constant Benghazi scandal congressional hearings as nothing more than attempts by House Republicans to distract the public on issues like job creation.
All of this comes as the conservative watchdog group Judicial Watch obtained emails which exposed that the Obama administration did in fact prep Susan Rice when she went on multiple news stations and made the claims that the four Americans who died in Benghazi, died because of a protest.
Just as the Hayride reported, Judicial Watch released the damaging emails, citing an email from then-White House Deputy Strategic Communications Adviser Ben Rhodes saying that he is going to prep Rice on what to say about the terrorist attack, mainly that it was “rooted in an Internet video, and not a failure of policy.”
The Rhodes email was sent on sent on Friday, September 14, 2012, at 8:09 p.m. with the subject line: “RE: PREP CALL with Susan, Saturday at 4:00 pm ET.” The documents show that the “prep” was for Amb. Rice’s Sunday news show appearances to discuss the Benghazi attack.
The document lists as a “Goal”: “To underscore that these protests are rooted in and Internet video, and not a broader failure or policy.”
Rhodes returns to the “Internet video” scenario later in the email, the first point in a section labeled “Top-lines”:
[W]e’ve made our views on this video crystal clear. The United States government had nothing to do with it. We reject its message and its contents. We find it disgusting and reprehensible. But there is absolutely no justification at all for responding to this movie with violence. And we are working to make sure that people around the globe hear that message.
But, President Obama and House Democrats are supposedly “undecided” on whether or not they will participate in the Benghazi investigation or boycott it on the basis that House Republicans are only trying to tarnish the president’s reputation.
The action puts President Barack Obama’s team and House Democrats in a bind. They are concerned about what they believe will be a partisan forum for attacks on the president and his top aides ahead of crucial midterm elections in November, which could swing the Senate to GOP control. But avoiding the committee altogether means sacrificing the ability to counter Republican claims.
White House Press Secretary said today that the Obama administration recognizes “legitimate” oversight investigations by Congress, but failed to mention if the Benghazi scandal was one in which the president classified as “legitimate.”