‘Do as I say, not as I do.’
Commission of Administration Jay Dardenne and Gov. John Bel Edwards are certainly following that motto this year when it comes to solving the state’s enormous fiscal disaster.
Dardenne said today that his lucrative executive salary (set by Edwards) will remain at a whopping $$237,500, which is a more than $33,000 increase. Dardenne actually defended his salary, saying that it is what Edwards promised him when he offered him the job.
But, no worries! Dardenne is cutting $400,000 in executive pay salaries out of his agency’s budget.
Edwards pulled a similar stunt last month. While campaigning, Edwards called former Gov. Jindal’s executive salaries “exorbitant” and reitorated that they were way too high.
As it turns out, though, Edwards will not only be keeping those salaries at “exorbitant” levels, but he has actually increased some of those salaries that he once criticized.
Here’s a full list:
• Commissioner of administration: Paid $204,402 by Jindal; $237,500 by Edwards.
• Revenue secretary: Paid $250,000 by Jindal; $250,000 by Edwards.
• Economic Development secretary: Paid $237,500 most recently by Jindal (though a previous secretary hired by Jindal received $320,000); $237,500 by Edwards.
• Health and Hospitals secretary: Paid $236,001 by Jindal; $236,001 by Edwards.
• Transportation and Development secretary: Paid $170,000 by Jindal; $176,900 by Edwards.
• Homeland Security director: Paid $165,000 by Jindal; $135,200 by Edwards.
• Environmental Quality secretary: Paid $137,197 by Jindal; $137,000 by Edwards.
• Workforce Commission director: Paid $137,000 by Jindal; $137,000 by Edwards.
• Corrections secretary: Paid $136,719 by Jindal; $136,719 by Edwards.
• Coastal Protection Restoration Authority director: Paid $135,000 by Jindal; $165,000 by Edwards.
• State police superintendent: Paid $134,351 by Jindal; $134,351 by Edwards.
• Veterans Affairs secretary: Paid $130,000 by Jindal; $130,000 by Edwards.
• Children and Family Services secretary: Paid $129,995 by Jindal; not hired yet by Edwards.
• Natural Resources secretary: Paid $129,210 by Jindal; not hired yet by Edwards.
• Wildlife and Fisheries secretary: Paid $123,614 by Jindal; $123,614 by Edwards.