A New Orleans woman has contracted a flesh-eating bacteria while merely fishing in the Gulf of Mexico during a trip near Grand Isle over the Memorial Day weekend.
Kelly Kohen Blomberg told WDSU that the disease known as ‘vibrio vulnificus’ or just flesh-eating bacteria, is rare but serious.
“It is affecting my life. I can’t work right now,” Bloomberg said to WDSU’s Casey Ferrand. “I can’t do anything productive right now.”
“Whenever I shuffled my foot, it went directly into the mouth of something,” she said. “Blood everywhere, and it was not stopping.”
Bloomberg said she cleaned her foot and immediately got on antibiotics. Soon after though, the once small scrape got larger and larger and she was rushed to the hospital to have the dead tissue removed from her foot.
The only other way of getting this flesh-eating bacteria? Eating raw oysters, according to an Oschner specialist.
The doctor told WDSU that individuals with low immune systems and high levels of iron or liver disease are especially at risk when they contract a flesh-eating bacteria.
“These individuals are at very high risk of death when they get infected with this organism,” the doctor told WDSU. “Anyone can get infected, but that subset of people can potentially have very serious outcomes.”