Rep. Michele Bachmann (R-MN) gave a speech today at the Kill The Bill Rally in St. Paul in which she entreated Americans to refuse to comply with the Obamacare law on health care if the Democrats use the Slaughter Rule to “deem” the Senate bill passed without actually voting on it. Bachmann said that if such tactics are used, “then the bill is illegitimate, and we don’t have to lay down for this. It’s not difficult to figure out.”
The money lines come at the 20:00 mark of the video below…
(Hat tip: Breakdown of America.)
Bachmann’s rhetoric is the hottest to date, but her call for civil disobedience is only one of a large number of examples of conservative legislators seeking official rejection of Obamacare across the country. Here in Louisiana, for example, state sen. A.G. Crowe has authored S.B. 26, the Louisiana Health Care Freedom Act, which would seek to nullify Obamacare on a host of grounds as violating state and federal law and provides, in pertinent part:
B. Prohibitions from mandated coverage; exemptions from payment of penalties.
(1) No law or rule shall compel, directly or indirectly, any person, employer or health care provider to participate in any health care system or health insurance plan.
(2) An individual or employer may pay directly for lawful health care services and shall not be required to pay penalties or fines for paying directly for lawful health care services.
(3) Except as provided in Paragraph (D)(2) of this Section, no health care provider shall be required to pay penalties or fines for accepting direct payment from a person or employer for lawful health care services.
C. Right to purchase private health insurance; freedom to contract.
(1) The purchase or sale of private health insurance from a private health care system shall not be prohibited by law or rule.
(2) A health care provider may accept or refuse to participate in any health care program or health care insurance plan operated by any government entity and shall not be compelled to do so as a condition of licensure.
Crowe will be speaking to a luncheon gathering sponsored by the Louisiana Grassroots Network at the Great Wall Chinese Restaurant on College Drive in Baton Rouge this Thursday, March 18th at 12:00 P.M., describing the law on nullification and the effort to head off Obamacare at the state level. Lunch buffet is $20.00.