Low Popahirum, Louisiana Edition (4-25-14)

low popahirum national“High standards for our students? Count me in. My dad was not happy with straight A’s. If my brother or I got a 95%, he wanted to know what happened on the other 5%. Even so, allowing the federal government to dictate education to states and local government? No thanks.” – Gov. Bobby Jindal/USA Today

“Among the nation’s metropolitan areas, Houma-Bayou Cane-Thibodaux, Louisiana, had the lowest unemployment rate in February: 2.8 percent. Yuma, Arizona, and El Centro, California, had the highest rates, 22.9 percent and 21.0 percent, respectively. Unemployment rates in each of these metropolitan areas was lower in February 2014 than a year earlier. In Houma-Bayou Cane-Thibodaux, the unemployment rate was 1.4 percentage points lower in February 2014 than in February 2013. Unemployment rates in Yuma and El Centro were 1.0 and 2.6 percentage points lower, respectively.” – Bureau of Labor Statistics

“A bill that would allow an entire parish to vote on city incorporations passed through the Louisiana House committee on Municipal, Parochial and Cultural Affairs on Thursday. But what was originally a statewide bill will now be amended to only apply to East Baton Rouge Parish.” – NOLA.com

“Mayor-President Kip Holden and Councilman Ryan Heck faced off at the Wednesday night Metro Council meeting over a multi-million dollar, five-year garbage collection contract with another five year option to renew. Holden pounced on Heck after the councilman suggested that it would be improper for the council to approve such a long contract that exceeds Holden’s mayoral term, especially since it was never put out for bid. Heck recalled at the meeting that before Holden was inaugurated in 2005, he asked city officials to slow the brakes on a garbage contract until he could take office.” – Baton Rouge Advocate

“A review of information about the impacts of incorporation on the part of St. George indicates that it would have troubling and possible illegal results in relation to increased school segregation and a racially discriminatory effect on the provision of municipal services in the city of Baton Rouge,” Fair Housing Action Center executive director James Perry said in a statement. “The Fair Housing Center may find it necessary to litigate in order to protect the civil rights of all Baton Rouge residents.” – NOLA.com

“Some teachers say they’re ready to call it quits all because of the way some of the children in their classrooms behave. Two East Baton Rouge public school teachers sat down with the I-team on the condition that their identities remain concealed. They say there are fights, physical and verbal threats to teachers and other students, and disruptive students keeping others from learning. They add the violence in the classrooms is only getting worse.” – WAFB

“Congressman Bill Cassidy believes it’s time for a Conservative voice to represent Louisiana. Cassidy, who is running against Mary Landrieu for Senate, joined us on 710 KEEL to talk about Obamacare, economic opportunities and state taxes.” – KEEL

“The House voted 56-41 on Wednesday to reject a proposed constitutional amendment calling for statewide election of the state superintendent of education.” – Lake Charles American Press

“Louisiana’s Senate race could determine which party controls the upper chamber. But Rep. Bill Cassidy (R-La.), who is running to unseat Sen. Mary Landrieu (D-La.), thinks that more is at stake.” – Huffington Post

Louisiana members raised money at World Disney World, a Justin Bieber concert, sporting events, including New Orleans Saints and Washington Nationals games. In a few instances, they skipped the fancy food to feed donors burgers from Five Guys and sandwiches from the Corner Bakery Cafe.” – NOLA.com

Interested in more news from Louisiana? We've got you covered! See More Louisiana News
Previous Article
Next Article
Join the Conversation - Download the Speakeasy App.

Trending on The Hayride