The New Orleans City Council has enacted a new series of gun control laws last week.
Despite the new restrictions, a mass shooting took place on Sunday night in the Central City neighborhood killing 1 and wounding 5.
From The Advocate:
Four of the six people shot in a wild attack on a Central City street corner on Sunday night may have been innocent bystanders, New Orleans Police Superintendent Michael Harrison said.
All of the victims survived the shooting to make it to the hospital, according to police, but one victim sustained a life-threatening wound to the head. The incident marks the worst mass shooting of 2016 in New Orleans, and one of the worst since a melee in Bunny Friend Park in November injured 17.
The shooting happened about 8:10 p.m. near the corner of First and South Derbigny streets, according to police. Police said one or more people arrived at the location and opened fire, injuring five men and one woman. The victims ranged in age from 23 to 63 years old.Harrison said investigators were probing whether the shooting was connected to other recent incidents in the area, although he declined to give further details. Anti-gang officers are involved in the investigation, Harrison said.