Last week, the Hayride exclusively reported the apparent positions that each of the seven New Orleans City Council members took on the issue of removing four historical monuments in the city.
Sources close to the Hayride said the usually liberal District B Councilwoman Latoya Cantrell alluded to the fact that she was against Mayor Mitch Landrieu’s monument removal plan in emails.
Today, Cantrell confirmed those Hayride reports, sending out this statement on the issue, along with New Orleans Advocate’s Jeff Adelson’s summary on her statements:
Besides Cantrell, Councilwoman at Large Stacy Head and District A Councilwoman Susan Guidry could both be ‘no’ votes on the issue, as both have been restrained on their comments about the monuments debacle.
Head said Landrieu began finding contractors to remove the monuments and warehouse space to store them months ago, confirming information the Hayride had reported from anonymous sources back in September.
Possibly the most undecided on monument removal is District C Councilwoman Nadine Ramsey who sources are calling a potential “swing vote” on the issue. Ramsey represents the Algiers area and parts of the French Quarter, which means she may be getting push-back from residents who want to keep the city’s strong sense of history in the Quarter.
Meanwhile, the apparent definite ‘yes’ votes on the City Council include Councilman at Large Jason Williams, District D Councilman Jared Brossett and District E Councilman James Gray.
Williams and Brossett spoke openly about their hopes to eventually help remove the monuments, while Gray was also a co-sponsor on a motion to push the issue forward to a vote.
The City Council is set to hold a public hearing on the issue tomorrow. Next week, on Dec. 17, the City Council said they will vote on the matter.